Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Days 235-237 (heart help)


As most everyone knows, I have a little heart condition. Diagnosed when I was 18, it's nothing serious, but it can be incredibly painful when the wonky ticker decides to throw a hissy fit (as it's been doing lately).

Yesterday afternoon, after a particularly agonizing episode, I found myself in the cardiologist’s office. As I was waiting, I could hear the whispers of other patients sharing their stories, their reasons for being there. Heart attack. Stroke. Inoperable cancer impairing the ventricles of the heart.

I was instantly overcome. I felt blessed that my own story read as a fairy tale in comparison to the ones wafting around the waiting room. I ached for the others, especially the elderly couple situated beside me, who seemed so deserving of a miracle.

It was at that moment that I sent up a quick thank you for my wonky ticker and reignited my desire to raise funds for the American Heart Association. I can’t create a miracle on my own, but maybe if we all band together, we can raise the funds so that the crew in the white lab coats can.

There are just three weeks left until I slip on my walking shoes in an effort to stomp out heart disease. Please help me help those who need it most by making an online donation by clicking here.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Hoping that your appointment yesterday went well. I've been thinkin about ya while I was having my own huge setback when I couldnt work out for 2 weeks. We are in the same boat... stuck in the 190s... hoping that I can kick myself out of it now that my setback seems to be becoming a comeback :) I hope that you are all better soon and find a work out that works with your heart!! Good luck!

Leslie said...

You've been on my mind way up here in Kentucky. I hope all is well. I've checked several times and with no updates posted, I've decided to forego that "no news is good news" theory and believe that no news is simply no news....but I'm keeping a good thought for you and your health, my friend!

LSD

tammy said...

Where have you gone? I miss reading about your adventures in 'healthy living' as I fight the same battle! ugh. Hope all is well with you. Thanks for letting me eavesdrop on your life through your blog!!!!

Tammy (in KY)