Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Days 156-160 (no knees!)

Last Thursday’s boot camp was brutal. Since the bulk of my company was at a tradeshow last week, only four recruits could attend (all marketing folks) — meaning extra attention was paid to all by DS.

CRAP!

And what did DS choose to focus on? Running our asses into the ground! Literally, I think my left butt cheek is buried somewhere near a tree that I kept playing chicken with (who sets up suicide cones mere centimeters from a freakin’ tree anyway???!!).

The running (and the running and the running) and the jumping and the pushing all led to the pukage of one member (yay! another one bites the dust and it ain’t me, who-hoo!).


Despite my rampant complaining above, I must admit, pre the-runneth-my-rear-into-the-ground workout, the 3 amigos and I thought it would be a great idea to have a plank off! (You know, that killer core-strengthening exercise that works, like, EVERYTHING.)

When boot camp started, I could only hold the plank position for about 30 seconds … on my knees. But, last Thursday, holy mother, the clouds parted, the wind calmed and I held that bad boy for 1 minute and 56 seconds … and look ma, no knees!!!!!

Hillary, who’s been with me in the boot camp trenches from day 1, held it for a minute 45 (go Hilbur!!!) and the boys, Gage and Khris, who are fairly recent recruits, both petered out at 1 minute, 5 seconds. SWEET!

Hillary and I were so excited by our progress that we were jumping around like we had ants in our pants (hmm, a plank in the grassy field of a park, we probably DID have ants in our pants). And, when we shared the news of our triumph with DS, there seemed to be, dare I say, a smile of pride that crept across his fitness-obsessed little face (too bad that pride seemed to fade when I walked the last leg of the last suicide. Oops.)

Anywhoo, gearing up for a re-plank off (my goal is 2:15) and the second session of boot camp, which starts this afternoon. DS, I hope to make you proud (just please don’t make me puke).

p.s. The pics above are of a weary Gage who showered the lawn with his lunch ... way to take one for the team!)

No comments: