Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Day 195 (lovin’ me some LSD …)

… um, no, not like the uber-hyped drug of the ’60s, but as in a self-described “fluffy butt” in Kentucky who has recently left me some of the most encouraging messages ever.

When I initially started this fatwhacking blogging venture, I was understandably nervous about the comments I might receive. The perceptions I might create. The anonymity of the Internet allows people to spew hate, should they feel so inclined, and as a hefty mama who has endured her fair share of tacky comments, I feared I was opening Pandora’s Box.

Thankfully, however, that box, to this point, has remained closed. A fact which has allowed me to bask in the support and encouragement bestowed upon me by perfect strangers, as well as dear family and friends.

I had hoped that by publicizing my trials (AAAAAALL of them), as well as my triumphs each coated in a thick, yummy batter of self-deprecation and humor that I might, somehow, manage to spark in someone else the desire to defluff the frame. I had also hoped that my online confessions would help to fan the flame of my own dedication and persistence — which tend to be about as consistent as politicians and gas prices.

I have now been at this for 7 months and it has been the best weight-loss experience ever. If I had not made myself accountable online, to those who know me, as well as those who don’t, I know I would have failed in my mommy mission and, well, failure is no longer an option.

While I still have many more boot camps to endure, cups of yogurt and turkey wraps to inhale and about 60 more pounds to lose, I just want to send this sincere shout out to everyone who has cheered me, (teasingly) jeered me and reminded me of why I’m sweating my ass off. I'm working to become the absolute best version of myself that I can be. For Cooper. For Chris. They deserve nothing less. And, I have finally realized, neither do I.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Daggonit! Just as I was peeking at the blog before I left work, telling myself I'd drive right past the Y tonight because....well, because. Now I'll be stopping, because you reminded me of the things I try to tell myself over and over - this isn't just for me, it's for the two lovely teenaged girls I have been a single parent to for the past 5 years. They deserve to have a parent who cares enough to be around - not just look hot, but that's a nice plus. And I deserve to be around to torture them when they present me with grandchildren - although hopefully that's going to be a few years down the road - give it at least 10 more years.

You've got your priorities straight - and that will help you succeed. I wish I'd had the determination 20 years ago so I'd still be a hot momma when I finally hit goal - but I'm sure you'll enjoy it for both of us when you get there!

LSD - who WAS born in the 60's (1961)...and has at least a couple of times in her life been considered some kind of drug.

Beth said...

I think you are doing great!! Blogging this weight loss is DEFINITELY not only cathartic, but motivating, and even particularly refreshing. Its a change from the way diets used to be, and the support seems to come out from the woodworks! Keep it up you are doing so great!