Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Day 63 (the poop pill)


You know that pill that recovering alcoholics pop in an effort to keep their sobriety in tact? (The one that makes them deathly ill if they drink while taking it?)

Well, guess what? There's a version for fattys! Who-hoo!

Last year you couldn't turn on the TV, go to a store, talk to a fluffy butt on a diet without the word "Alli" popping up. I was more annoyed by the over-advertising of the dang thing than I was impressed by its supposed "powers."

But, after talking to a friend who's on it (and has pretty good success with it), Chris and I have decided to give the poop pill a go -- literally. =)

Here's how it works (in case anyone's been living in a cave for the past several months): the pill keeps your body from asorbing some of the fat in the foods that you eat -- good for the diet, but could be bad for your butt.

The blocked fat is eliminated naturally from your body (with all the other excess--ahem--crap), but, if you eat too many fat grams in one sitting--whamo! You're heading for a pretty nasty squat session.

I know, I know, grrrrross, right? Well, here's the thing, like the beligerant drunk aunt fanny pill that keeps her on track because of "what could happen" if she goes on a midnight bender, for me, the Alli pill keeps me from inhaling, scarfing, binging on the bad stuff. After all, who wants to be stuck in a meeting and suddenly feel (and hear) that tell-tale gargle of a bowel volcano waiting to erupt?

Umm, no thank you!

Chris and I are now on day 2 and neither of us have had what I affectionately call "an ass explosion," so we must be doing well on our fat intake (shocking!).

Only time will tell if this new ingredient in my recipe for "success" will work, but I'm already loving the fact that some of the self-regulating has been taken off my shoulders and relegated to a little pill. I've been stressing waaay too much about defluffing my frame and it's nice now to have a more solidified plan of attack.

Bonus? I LOVE to make lists and as part of the Alli program you document your daily chow sessions so that you keep track of the calories and fat you've consumed. I have us on 1,200 calories a day and 39 grams of fat (the lowest program outlined in the book).

Fingers are crossed that no "accidents" happen! =)

p.s. Has anyone tried these pills? If so, I'd love to know about your experiences.

3 comments:

Sawatzky family said...

Hey there!
I hear your previous post loud and clear! I too tend to be my own worst enemy..I bounce between hating my body and proudly declaring I am sexy as I am and self acceptance at my current weight. Not a fun roller coaster to be on!
I have never tried the alli pill, however I have been turned on to an all natural tea called "cenna" It is a tea used to flush out your bowls and keep you from asorbing so much of what you eat...I wonder if your pill has it listed on the ingredients list? Anyway you drink a cup or two in the morning and by about 2:00 in the afternoon your going "potty" Or you can drink it just before you go to bed and it will kick in in the morning. It's a couple hours of "oh man I gotta go" and trust me you do go! So I tend to take on days when I can stay home for that couple of hours. But then your empty (literally) and I do always feel better afterward. I take it usaully twice a week depending on how I am eating. And it tastes really good too. I just add a little splenda! Anyways I am interested to hear your take on the pill!
Later Tater
Shelly

Sawatzky family said...

Sorry brain fart...it's Senna Tea not Cenna Tea!
Also I just ate a chocolate bar!!!! AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!
Shelly

courtney said...

I'm so interested in how you'll do with Alli. I've been tempted to take it, but am also fearful of the "ass explosions", too. I've already thrown up at work before and that was embarrassing enough--I can't imagine if I crapped my pants, too!!

Your gazelle story cracked me up! Mainly because I can relate! I often (okay, maybe "often" is pushing it) feel like I've got this athletic rhythm going only to look over at my reflection and see what looks like someone that's just been informed that the buffet's closing in two minutes. Pure beauty....