Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Day 13/14 (Walk & Roll)




Now that my two-week break between being laid off and starting my new job is in full force, I am once again a full-time mommy - haven't been with Coop this much since my maternity leave 6 months ago ... not sure it's such a good thing, lol!


Yesterday I quickly realized that if I wanted to keep my workout routine hot and heavy, I was going to have to rethink the gym situation ... the cramped confines of our apartment workout room does not a great daycare make. Soooo, I thought I'd give the neighborhood park a go.


All I can say is ... niiiiiice! The place Coop and I ventured to is more nature preserve than swings and slides (though is does have those, too). Think little red riding hood walking through the forest with a buggie in place of a basket. That's sooo how I felt tromping through the trees (ok, concrete path, but the trees were everywhere).


At first I was hesitant about taking my little man for a nature walk, though I grew up in the sticks for most of my youth, I am NOT an outdoorsy gal. And, anything that goes bump in the night (or in this case, the day) creeps me out. About 2.5 minutes in, I heard rustling just off the path and saw bushes shaking wildly. I just knew some vicious little creature was about to emerge and eat my baby for an appetizer and me for the main course! I was ready to head back to "civilization" when I saw the cutest little older couple walking my way. They were holding hands and smiling and I thought, "Toughen up weiner, they survived, you will, too!" (did I also mention I tend toward the more dramatic side of life??).


I exchanged "Hello's" with the couple as they passed, then I gripped the handle of Coop's stroller and proceeded to pick up the pace. Though the temp was a breezy 60-something, I was sweating like a gal in heat (and breathing like one, too)! It felt amazing.


Before I knew it, 45 minutes had passed. Who-hoo! New workout record. Bonus? Coop slept the entire time, what a trooper!


We repeated the entire adventure this afternoon, only we powered on for an extra 20 minutes. YAY!


I sure hope my efforts show up on weigh day (tommorrow!).

No comments: