Thursday, January 10, 2008

Day Nine (Secrets)



OK, I'm done pouting about the job situation (for now) and am again fully focused on loosing weight. After all, defluffing my feathers will only give my self-confidence a (much-needed!!) boost, which will/should in turn give me a self-assured edge when I saunter into office after office for interviews.

So, on to the secrets of my 9-lb-in-a-week-weigh-loss success (whoo-hoo! Oh, but please note, I am in no way a voice of health, reason, or even sanity on most days, so take my tips with a grain of salt - and maybe a chip or two if you're dying to cheat. Just wanted to share what has been working for me ... hope these help Shelly!):

*My -ack! - 29th birthday is in 17 days and, in honor of my LAST 20-something birthday, I have made it my mission to loose 20-something pounds by the big day! Lofty goal, I know, but setting smaller goals with a nice payoff (girls night out - yeah, daddy!) helps keep me focused. 20-something sounds waaaay less intimidating than 80-something. So, tackle this little goal (or come damn near close!) then move on to the next one.

*I have made a deal with myself about working out: I will hit the gym 5 days and rest on 2. Plus, I started out with an exercise limit that kicks my ass, but not so much so that I can't fathom the thought of repeating it the next day. But, during the workout when I think I can't go on, I just keep repeating (in my head of course, don't want the other sweat sisters to think I'm a whack job) my chant: "I WILL release the thin within!" Shockingly, it has been a huge help!

*Also, after each set of 7 workouts, I will increase my activity. After tommorrow's sweat session, I will bump up my treadmill fun by 5 minutes and increase my weights by 5-10 lbs. and maybe mix in some stairclimber action if I'm feeling extra randy, lol!

*Now, as for eating, I have never been a huge fan of breakfast. I was always one of those that suscribed to the wait-and-binge-later school of thought. Now, however, I nibble on something in the AM to get the metabolism juicing. Right now I'm loving the vanilla and almond Special K ... yum. I skip the milk (eeww) and chomp on dry bits from a baggie while taking Cooper to daycare. Also, I try to make lunch my largest meal of the day, which I have realized (um, hello, duh!) keeps me from feeling famished by 5. For dinner I snack on something small like yogurt, an apple or crackers and also finish before 7:30. Oh, and at lunch, I usually try to eat whatever I want, but keep the portions in check (deprivation is the angel of death for any diet), but I am giving up the sweets. Poo.

*Since Chris and I are in this together, we have agreed that if the other is feeling weak, the other has to pick up the slack, no ifs ands or buts about it! Also, we have planned to have one fabulous cheat night a month (sans guilt) - bring on the cheesecake baby.

*When Chris and I decided that this was it, no more "We'll start on Monday" stuff, he said the greatest thing: "We have to think of it like this: 'Food is not entertianment, it's fuel.'" We have always been guilty of using meal time as a substitute for doing other things, so changing our viewpoint on the purpose of food has been amazing.

* Another trick? My humiliation-turned-accountability on the web. Whenever I think that this sucks to much to continue, I just remember that people now know my shame and I have to make sure that I rectify that. That, AND I want Coop to grow up with a mommy who's active and fun, not a total couch cruiser with crumbs permanently bedecking her chest.

*My last and absolute best trick is a total appetite savor. Whenever I'm feeling weak (which, right now, seems like every minute of every day) I chomp on Dentyne Ice Artic Chill gum. The intense minty flavor kills my cravings, keeps my oral fixation satisfied and hello, fresh breath ... can't beat that. Mix it up with swigs of Diet Pepsi (which, yowzer, if the gum is a fresh piece, watch out, it burns a little) and I'm good to go.

1 comment:

Sawatzky family said...

Great tips! Thanks for sharing! Actually it does sound similar to what I am doing except we live in a very very very very very small town, (did I mention it was very tiny) and going to the gym :( is out of the cards so I hit my treadmill and I just ordered some dvds to sweat to. I am however thinking I need to step up my cardio time. And tonight is my cheat night I am getting some cheesecake yumminess with a girlfriend! I think I will even have a Dr. Pepper (my secret boyfriend;) Thanks for the update! Keep up the Great work!
Shelly