Friday, February 29, 2008

Day 56-59 (Weigh Day #8)

OOPS! I'm 3 days late on my weigh day post. What a slacker! It's hard to get motivated about posting the same number every week. Sigh.

The devil scales revealed, yet again, that I'm holding steady at 215.

But that's all me (well, and that damned lobster-steak-crab-dessert dinner I inhaled last Saturday).

Anywhoo, determined to get off the hamster wheel and actually make some progress, I asked a co-worker for some tips (thanks "twit"!). Said coworker suggested many things, two of which I have begun implementing.

The first is to add intervals to my dreadmill routine. I'd tried this when I first started working out a couple of months ago, but I was soooo outta' shape at that point that I could barely manage to walk for 20 minutes, much less run.

But now that I've been logging 40 minutes at a pretty decent pace, I thought what the hell.

OH! My! God!

My massive frame was not designed to run!!! Tuesday and Wednesday I did 35 minutes broken into intervals of 3 minutes fast walking and 1 minute running. (Thank goodness Barbie wasn't there!)

At one point I made the mistake of looking into the wall o' mirrors during my "run." I felt like I was performing like a gazelle ... all light and graceful (contrary to the groaning protests of the dreadmill), but when I caught a glimpse of myself I saw this horribly uncoordinated hippo struggling to stay alive. You'd think there was some kind of wild game hunter chasing me with a shotgun and spear the way I was swaggering left and right, barely breathing (or breathing so much you couldn't tell there was any inhale/exhale).

If you want to see sexiness, just come see me at the gym! =)

To my credit, though ... hippo that I am kept on plodding along (sans mirror!).

I did take Thursday off to recoup and as of this AM, my calves are still hard as rocks ... I'm working that stilted robot swagger. It's hot.

Another tip that I'm working on is no carbs after 5. This method is based on the idea that all organs have a time of day at which they function to maximum capacity. The liver, which does the heavy lifting where carbs are concerned, peters out after 5. So, it's better to squeeze them in earlier rather than later. Or so the theory goes.

We'll see if these two new tips have any result at the next weigh day. Until then, this hippo's gonna' keep on ploddin' along. (Hope that game hunter doesn't spear me in the ass!)

1 comment:

Sawatzky family said...

LMAO!!!
What a great post! I needed a good chuckle! Thanks!
Shelly
p.s.
I think wall of mirrors in gyms should be considered cruel and unusual punishment!